Tuesday, November 15, 2005

I'm the yo-yo at the end of Poland's string

I was born in Poland, but it does annoy me at times. I read Aaron's post (below) and I laughed in agreement: the customs, the salesclerks, the unbending rules, the post office, etc... all serve to annoy me. But I keep coming back.

I was born here, lived here for the first 12 years of my life. Then, at the age of 25, I came back for two years. I loved it, I hated it and then I loved it some more. After three years in the UK, I came back (this time with my new British husband) to love and hate some more. I cannot help it: it keeps calling me back.

I truly am the yo-yo at the end of Poland's string.

4 Comments:

At 11/15/2005 07:35:00 PM, Blogger Becca said...

You were in Canada between the ages of 12 and 25 right?

What does your British husband think about it all?

 
At 11/15/2005 10:43:00 PM, Blogger Aaron Fowles said...

One simply cannot be ambivalent about Poland.

 
At 11/15/2005 11:35:00 PM, Blogger Gustav said...

That's scary. I intend to move back to the states one day. Does Poland's gravitational pull already have me in its inescapable grasp?

 
At 11/16/2005 10:52:00 AM, Anonymous Kinuk said...

Becca,

Almost...I lived in Canada between 13 and 23. Before we got to Canada, we spent 1 year in (West) Germany and, after I finished uni, I went to Japan for two years.

My husband was on a huge "I love Poland!" kick last year. This year, his second, he's a bit more subdued. I think he dreads the cold winter and the eternal darkness of the Polish winter season. But he still likes it. You may get to ask him yourself that question, btw, should we ever drag ourselves out of the flat on Saturday night. :)

Aaron,
You're right. It seems to provoke the more extreme emotions from people. I really don't know why.

Gustav,
Like all things with mass, Poland's gravitational pull is quite large. I have a friend, who was miserable in her last year in Poland and couldn't wait to leave. After two months in Australia, she's dying to get back. Just one of those inexplicable things...

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home