Monday, December 26, 2005

Winter WonderPoland

I'm writing to you now from a small internet cafe in Krynica, Poland. We're in the south, just a few miles (sorry, euro-friends) from the Slovakian border. When we stepped off the train we both had the same impression: This is a fairy-tale.

It's mostly a resort town boasting loads of pensions and health resorts. Right now, there are about 18 inches of snow on the ground and the air is brisk. So very refreshing and relaxing. The natural springs flow abundantly so the water is cheap. And I guess if you drink enough of it you get healthy. I feel better after a few days of drinking the stuff.

We went to the top of the mountains in a gondola today. We were, of course, surrounded by skiiers, but nevertheless it was a touching moment. Nothing but tree-covered mountains anywhere you look. The trees up there look like they've been dipped in sugar--so white and crisp.

I inadvertently booked us into a health spa generally aimed at the geriatric set. We're the youngest people in the hotel by at least 30 years. But it's cheap, comes with food, and is nicely located (set on a hill with a good view from the windows). Meals are served in what used to be a majestic ballroom, but now shows signs of age.

Time's up! More later!

5 Comments:

At 12/27/2005 03:58:00 PM, Blogger Becca said...

Sounds beautiful Aaron.We're heading to the south of Poland too, to Zakopane for New Year. At the moment I'm in the snow in Brussels though. Looking forward to the fairytale setting :-)

 
At 12/28/2005 08:58:00 AM, Blogger Eugene Markow said...

Aaron,

The way you described Krynica is exactly how it looks here where I live on a permanent basis. My house is on top of a mountain, with a views of the entire Dunajec river valley, including the small city of Zakliczyn and the grounds of famous Polish composer Krzysztof Penderecki. Krynica is only 70 kilometers away from the village of Siemiechów, where I live. It's too bad you can't make it to a fellow American's invitation for a glass of beer. There really isn't an excuse! Here is the website for my village: http://www.geocities.com/ejmarkow/siemiechow

Best Regards,

Eugene
Siemiechów, Poland
"The Heart of Galicia"

 
At 12/28/2005 10:33:00 AM, Blogger beatroot said...

I think I know you Eugene...remember the author of 'Being There'?

 
At 12/28/2005 05:57:00 PM, Blogger Eugene Markow said...

Beatroot, yes, the author of "Being There" (great novel and film by the way) was accused several times of plagiarism by very reliable sources. The text of that novel closely mirrored that of "The Career of Nikodem Dyzma" by Dolega-Mostowicz. Not only was JK accused of plagiarizing a fellow Polish author, he was also known for extreme exaggeration, fabrication, and perversion. This is not a matter of simply being a 'fan' or 'not a fan' of JK, however, it's a question of him being a reputable and honest author. Yes, I think I know you as well. :-)

 
At 12/28/2005 11:56:00 PM, Blogger beatroot said...

I must emphasise that it was not me causing all the fuss...I was on your side about the plagiarism.:)

Sorry this is a bit cryptic to others...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home