Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Krakow, where'd you get that magic?

I'm spending a week in Krakow to decompress after my stressful (sic) week in the mountains. What a city!! I've been here many times before, but never on an extended stay.

This place is amazing!! They advertized a chess tournament on the radio! There are jazz clubs! Hurrah!

Maybe I'm just jealous. Having lived in Poznan for two years now (a nice city, but not cultural), I've become very jaded about Poland itself. Visiting Warsaw, unfortunately, didn't do anything to cure that. But having been here for just a few days, I'm beginning to see a glimmer of hope in what I had seen as a terrible situation.

Watched the old men playing their music by the cloth hall today. One guy sauntered over as I reached for my wallet. He got his zloty. It was well-deserved.

See you back in Poznan.

4 Comments:

At 2/24/2006 12:24:00 PM, Blogger beatroot said...

Gdansk is better, cheaper and the people don't all look like middle aged ladies from Austria...

 
At 2/24/2006 07:02:00 PM, Blogger Gustav said...

Krakow's very pretty, but the people are snobs when it comes to their city, and they're always criticizing Warsaw. I'll take Krakow if I wanna be a tourist, but I'd rather live in Warsaw.

We got jazz clubs too, you know...

 
At 2/26/2006 07:53:00 PM, Blogger ~JS said...

as a former grad student of jagiellonian u., i agree with the charge of parochialism in krakow...there is a joke that the best thing about warsaw is the fast train to krakow...

 
At 3/04/2006 12:14:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that train joke must be universal. First Glaswegian: What's the best thing about Edinburgh? Second Glaswegian: The train back to Glasgow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home